Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bannock

Bannock - A round flat bread traditionally cooked on a griddle or stone, brought to Canada through Scottish explorers and traders, adopted by Indigenous people and settlers. 

This is another restaurant in the O&B chain.  Food style COMFORT.  Nothing is better than meat and potatoes, unless you're a vegetarian.  For the vegetarian readers of my blog, I did order a Prairie Grain Salad because it sounded interesting.  And I need to have vegetables to complete my meal.  This salad consisted of living sprouts, slegers' greens and tahini.  I would have to say this was the most disappointing dish we ordered.  I expected this to be a crunchy salad, but it wasn't.  The living sprouts were more like beans that sprouted and they either boiled it or steamed it so it was like eating cooked beans.  The dressing was supposed to be a tahini dressing, but I wasn't able to taste any tahini or sesame flavor at all.  All I could taste was mayonnaise.  I did love the pretty looking pink like vegetable in the dish.  Anyone know what it is?  I had that in Japan before too, but never figured out what it was!
Prairie Grain Salad










Best dish of the night in my opinion was the Bannock Boiled Dinner.  The boys would beg to differ I'm sure.  The boiled dinner consisted of 2 LARGE pieces of corned brisket, Montreal steak spice, head cabbage (a generous 1/4 of a cabbage), few pieces of potato, few pieces of carrot and pease pudd'n.  Such a simple dish, but so delicious.  The brisket was nice and tender, had some fatty pieces, but was easily removed.
Bannock Boiled Dinner










The boys favorite dish of the night.......I'M sure this would be EVERY guy's favorite dish......Duck Poutine Pizza.  Yes you heard it right, duck on poutine, on pizza.  This is not a dish for a light eater.  I think this is probably the heaviest dish I've ever consumed.  Carb overload!  Taste and flavor was good, but too heavy.  One possible improvement for this dish would be if the fries were crispier.  Perhaps gravy served table side?
Duck Poutine Pizza










I think I need to make a repeat trip to find out what a bannock tastes like.

Bannock
401 Bay St. Toronto, ON
416-861-6996

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...