Thursday, February 14, 2013

Santouka

The last few months, the ramen craze has hit Toronto!  There's ramen shops popping up on what feels like every corner of the city.  I'm a sucker for noodles so i've been trying to find the time, stomach & pant space to try them all.  I tried Santouka in the middle of December.  Yes i'm getting slow with the posts again :(.

The lineup at the time was crazy long since it was still I think in it's soft opening days.  I think at around 9pm, we had to wait for about an hour still!  According to the time stamps on my pictures, by the time the food arrived, it was already 10:30pm.  Good food is always worth the wait.  But was this one?

The ramen dishes ordered were:  Shio Ramen, Miso Ramen, and Tokusen Toroniku Ramen.
Miso Ramen

Shio Ramen
Tokusen Toroniku Ramen



























The flavours of the broth were pretty good.  Lighter than Kinton, but just as flavourful.  For the regular ramen dishes, we found the pork to be on the dry side, and not much flavour.  The Tokusen Toroniku Ramen, the pork was the highlight of the evening.  Good flavour, moist and very tender.  The one thing which makes me like Kinton more is the noodles.  Santouka's noodles are the thin variety.  Cooked very well.  Still a bit chewy.  But it reminded me of wonton noodles.  I'm not a huge fan of wonton noodles.

Santouka vs Kinton?  I would say Kinton wins.

Santouka
91 Dundas Street East, 
Toronto, ON
M5B 2C8
647-748-1717
Hours: 11am-11pm
http://www.santouka.co.jp/en/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...