Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Green Wood

I'm not that familiar to the south east end of toronto, or more specifically the Leslieville/Beaches area.  I honestly don't remember how I stumbled across the Green Wood.  But I was so glad I did.  We went for a very late brunch, technically it could have been considered a late lunch if anything.  Surprisingly, even though it was so late, the restaurant was full, no lineup but full.  We got the last table that was available.  But there was still bar seating.

We ordered, a fried chicken sandwich with fries, and the classic shakshuka.  The fried chicken sandwich of course was the hubby's order.  The chicken had a crispy outside and juicy inside, topped with a lightly dressed creamy coleslaw, all sitting on a brioche type bun.  I found the bun to be a bit too light to hold up to such a dense filling, but taste wise it worked.  Fries were great, thicker cut than normal, but not thick to the point of it being wedges.  House made ketchup had a slightly smokey flavour, not too sweet like store bought ketchup can be.  The shakshuka, my new favourite brunch dish.  It was so good (although I don't really have other comparisons), that I attempted to make it at home for dinner the same week.  Of course, mine didn't match up quite as well.  I loved the tanginess of the tomatoes, the softly cooked eggs, and the homemade bread (honey oat I think) that was served alongside.
Fried Chicken Sandwich

Classic Shakshuka



















Too bad the Green Wood is so far from home, otherwise, I would be eating here way more often.  I love how their restaurant uses all local ingredients and chooses sustainable food items.  If you would like to see what they get their ingredients from, check them out on their webpage.

The Green Wood
1402 Queen St E.,
Toronto, ON
M4L 1C9

Phone:  (416) 778-4343

Hours:  Monday - Sunday 900a - 400p

http://eatgreenwood.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...