Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Ramen Isshin

I went on a day, that I probably shouldn't have even got out of bed.  But instead, I went to work, I went to school, and went out to try a new ramen spot.  So to be honest, I'm not sure if I was actually able to taste all the flavours in the broths.  I stuck to my 'usual', tonkotsu ramen.  I wish they had just plain tonkotsu.  Why make something so complicated when simple is good?  So I picked the addition to the broth with the least amount of flavour impact, shio (instead of shoyu or miso).  The hubby ordered shoyu, and my friend ordered the red miso ramen combo that came with a bowl of rice topped with some pork.

It was very hard for me to taste the flavours of the broth, so my opinion in this case is probably null and void.  But I do recall that the texture of the broth was very thick and creamy.  Which was very good for my super sore throat.  I really liked the fact that they give you toasted sesame seeds along with a mortar and pestle to add extra flavour to the broth.  The pork wasn't very good, too fatty and not enough char flavour.  The egg was cooked well.
Tonkotsu Ramen











The other ramens, tasted good (according to the others).  My friend didn't realize that his red miso ramen was meant to be spicy.  On the menu we didn't recall it saying it was spicy either.  So warning.....red miso = spicy.  My friend had a bit of a tough time eating it, but he toughed it out.  I would have volunteered to swap my ramen with his if I didn't have a sore throat, but I couldn't this time.  I didn't want my throat to be on fire later.
Red Miso Ramen

Shoyu Ramen



















One other item that was ordered, that I again wasn't able to try was the takoyaki balls.  It looked a little stiff to me.  They said it tasted ok.  To this day when I hear takoyaki balls, I still think of the ones I had at the Kyoto market.  Nothing has been able to compare to them.
Takoyaki 











The general consensus was it was good, but not sure if it was that good for us to come back since theres other ramen restaurants within the immediate vicinity.  I think my favourite is still Kinton.


Ramen Isshin
421 College St.,
Toronto, ON
M5T 1T1

416-367-4013

Hours:  Monday - Thursday 11:30am - 11:00pm
             Friday - Saturday 11:30am - 12:00am
             Sunday 11:30am - 10:00pm

http://www.ramenisshin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...