Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Izakaya Tsuki

Another restaurant I visited during my diet's food introduction phase.  The night started out with me at a bar.  My friends who I haven't seen in 10 years wanted to meet at a bar.  I couldn't eat anything there or drink anything there.  So I only stayed for a short while, and searched for a place that would have some food for me to eat.  By that time, it was too late for me to buy groceries and then go home and cook.  I thought of Japanese food, since there's some sashimi.  Yes I realize sashimi is fish.  But because of my food limitations, thats what I had to resort to.  Izakaya Tsuki was nearby and they use brown rice instead of white rice!  Means I can have maki as well! While we were waiting, I called up another friend that lives nearby to join us, since I haven't seen him in a couple of months.  More people means we can order a larger variety of food.

Izakya Tsuki has quite large menu with large variety of raw and cooked items ranging from sushi and sashimi to ramen to takoyaki balls. For the three of us, I think we ordered a lot of food.  But that's also because my friend can eat quite a bit. :)  We ordered sashimi salad, takoyaki, ramen, tuna tataki, grilled squid, grill beef tongue, gindara, sushi+sashimi plate

The sashimi salad was pretty much the same fish as the sashimi and sushi plate.  I still haven't acquired the love for salmon yet.  So I pretty much ate tuna, and some other fish that I don't know the name of.  Was, just ok I think.  Wasn't mushy and overly fishy smelling and tasting.  So a pass for me.  I also can't compare to other sushi joints in Toronto.  When you compare with places like Japan and Vancouver, you just can't.....
Sashimi Salad


Sushi+Sashimi Platter


















Tuna tataki is usually my go to dish.  For some reason I find that with the slight sear on the fish, it gives the fish a better texture than fully cooked or fully raw.  So I ate quite a bit of this one.
Tuna Tataki











The best dish of the night (of what I did eat) was the gindara.  I think it's better than Guu's!  The fish was not fishy at all.  Cooked perfect which a slight crust, while being moist on the inside.  I think I ate most of this dish too.
Gindara











The squid was just so-so.  Not the best that I've had, and not the worst.  I would say order something else instead.  I didn't try the beef tongue or the ramen.  The boys liked the beef tongue.  The ramen was meh.  They have their favourites downtown.  They also liked the takoyaki balls.  But when looking at it, it looked firmer than what I remember from Kyoto.  But then again most Japanese restaurants here in Toronto make them firm.
Beef Tongue & Squid
Ramen
Takoyaki






























I think if I were to return, it would be for the gindara.  So many other restaurants along Yonge St. for me to try.  It is super convenient for people who take the TTC since it's on the subway line.  And I just noticed they also have a location in Markham.

Izakya Tsuki
5182 Yonge St.
North York, ON
M2N 5P6

Phone:  416-229-6719

Hours:  Monday - Sunday 5pm-2am

http://www.tsuki.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...