Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Goed Eten

Every year after my annual Sporting Life 10k run, I go to a restaurant I've never been to before and treat myself to a yummy brunch.  This year it went from brunch to lunch, because we lost a fellow running mate.  Since none of us wanted to carry extra weight during the run, none of us had our cell phones on us, so we couldn't find our friend.  After about an hour of my stomach screaming "FEED ME!  I'M STARVING!!!!", my friend finally showed up.  And off we were to lunch.

I chose to try Goed Eten because it was relatively close, but far enough away so there wouldn't be hoards of other runners squished inside a restaurant, and I like breakfast food.  The menu selection here is relatively small.  It consisted of a few options of eggs bennies, breakfast type sandwiches, poutines and waffles.

I ordered the 'normal' eggs benedict.  After running 10k, I can tell myself it's ok to have a slightly heavier meal.  My eggs came a little more cooked than I normally like them.  And the English muffin underneath tasted and looked more like a bagel but without a hole in the middle.  I think I read somewhere that they make their own English muffins here.  Not sure if I liked the texture of that or not.  The bennies came with a small side order of potatoes, nothing special, and an apple slaw.  To me the slaw was kinda strange, pickles with apple and thousand island dressing.
Eggs Benny










The hubby ordered a beef brisket poutine and a waffle breakfast sandwich.  When the poutine came, our eyes bulged and we all went "OMG".  It was HUGE, and was topped with large beef brisket pieces!  Delicious!  Along with the fries, beef, & cheese curds, there were these deep fried round balls of something.  It turned out to be deep fried potato & cheese balls.  So good!  The waffle breakfast sandwich, I originally thought the bread would be waffle, but it turns out it's bread that's toasted in a waffle maker, kind of like a sandwich being pressed in a panini press.  Sandwich had egg, cheese and ham.
Beef Brisket Poutine

Waffle Breakfast Sandwich


















Friends ordered a fruit waffle, and omelette.  Everyone seemed to enjoy their meals.  After I finished my eggs benny, I ordered a plain waffle with maple syrup.  It was soooo good.  So light and crispy.  It was nothing like the typical Belgian waffles that we get from other restaurants, which are cakey and heavy.  I was expecting some egg flavor for some strange reason, but there wasn't any.  The waffle didn't have much of a taste to it, so it was good that we had some maple syrup to flavor it.
Omelette

Fresh Fruit Waffle

Plain Waffle with Maple Syrup


























If those cakey waffles we get at hotels from those 'make your own waffle stations' and restaurants are so different from these at Goed Eten, I wonder, what traditional waffles are supposed to taste like......

Goed Eten
188 Ossington Ave.
Toronto, ON
M6J 2Z7
Hours: Wednesday - Sunday 10am - 4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...