Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Yiu's Chinese Cuisine

I had a non-Asian friend comment on one of my previous posts regarding the HK style cafe restaurants, and telling me that they're not worth going to, because you can make the same dishes at home.  TECHNICALLY, you can make most of the dishes you eat out, just takes time.  I agree that HK style cafes don't necessarily offer the best quality food, or the most innovative dishes, but they are cheap, and food is decent.  It's also for convenience.  I always thought that you couldn't screw up this kind of simple food.  That is until I went to Yiu's Chinese Cuisine.

Yiu's has been on my radar since I've been going to B&B Cafe for breakfasts.  But I never got a chance to go because Yiu's claims to open at 10am, but they never are.  This time, we decided to go out for a mid afternoon snack, and Yiu's was open so we decided to pop in.  Located almost right next to B&B Cafe, Yiu's is definitely a lot busier, which I thought would be a good sign.  However, I was wrong.  I ordered sesame french toast, and the hubby ordered satay beef noodle which came with a ham sandwich.  My french toast was super greasy, and heavy.  The difference between 'normal' french toast and Chinese french toast is pan fry vs deep fry.  The Chinese deep fry theirs, which I expected, but I didn't expect it to be so oily.  I felt pretty gross after.  The sesame part is a filling in between the slices of bread, so it's not visible in the picture.
Sesame French Toast














The satay beef noodle is a very simple dish, satay sauce, beef slices and put over soup noodles.  Can't be hard to make right?  Yet they still screwed it up.  There was no satay flavour at all.  The ham sandwich, was just half a slice of ham, and 1 slice of bread.
Satay Beef Noodle & Ham Sandwich














These meals usually come with a drink.  I got a red bean grass jelly drink and the hubby got a milk tea.  Our drinks didn't come while we were eating, which we thought could be because they normally bring it over near the end of the meal.  We finished our food, and still nothing.  We asked a total of 3 times.  The third time I asked if i could just get a take out cup, so I didn't have to sit there anymore.  Even though they kept forgetting my drink, they had the audacity to tell me I would have to pay extra for a take out cup.

I would say, forget Yiu's, price point is good, but not only is their food bad, their service is even worse.  The waitresses are not very attentive at all.  And I know that at a Chinese restaurant, you shouldn't expect much in terms of service.  Walk a few doors over and visit B&B Cafe instead, where I've always been able to get the server's attention, and they always great us with a friendly smile.

Yiu's Chinese Cuisine
50 Bur Oak Ave,
Markham, ON

905-887-1988

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...