Sunday, August 10, 2014

Thompson Diner

After each of my annual half marathon races (not really sure why I call it a race, since there no way that I can compete with anyone else that runs because i'm too slow), I give myself a cheat meal.  This year it was at the Thompson Diner.  Any place that has the word diner in the restaurant name, would typically indicate some not so healthy choices, which is perfect for a post run meal.  And crazy ordering we did do.  The four of us ordered a full table of food!  We had an omelette with turkey sausage and mushrooms, the grilled cheeseburger, breakfast poutine, fat american and all day breakfast.

What I like most here is the sausage, so good.  I'm not a huge fan of pork, but I will eat it sometimes.  The sausage they serve here is turkey sausage.  So for once, I ordered sausage with my all day breakfast. The all day breakfast consisted of  3 eggs any way you like (looked like large eggs), choice of meats, potatoes and bread.  Nothing super special, but good diner food.
All Day Breakfast











The omelette was apparently cooked well, not overcooked.  I didn't get a chance to taste it, so I'll have to take my friend's word for it.
Omelette











We were surprised at the size of the grilled cheese burger.  It's essentially a very large burger patty sandwiched between 2 grilled cheese sandwiches.  It was huge!  Everyone that sat around us kind of stared when the burger arrived.  I had a small bite of the burger patty to try, it was juicy and flavourful.  I would never order this on my own just because of the sheer size of the burger because I could never finish it.
Grilled Cheese Burger











The hubby ordered the Fat American, 3 very large pancakes.  One of the pancakes was a plain buttermilk pancake, one was filled with turkey sausage, and the last was filled with bacon.  The pancake itself was light and fluffy.  But I wasn't a fan of this dish because I don't like the salty sweet combination.  The hubby enjoyed it though because it was an all in one dish.
Fat American











We also ordered a breakfast poutine to share.  Its basically a regular poutine with some breakfast toppings, turkey sausage, poached egg and hollandaise sauce.  Overall it was good, but I think that they messed up with the egg poaching.  The yolk was cooked all the way through.  I was expecting a runny yolk, which would have been a nice texture with the fries.
Breakfast Poutine











The Thompson Diner's food is definitely heavy, which would make for a great late night drunken meal, or hangover breakfast since they're open 24 hours.

Thompson Diner
550 Wellington St. W
Toronto, ON
M5V 2V5

416-601-3533

Hours:  24 Hours

http://www.thompsondiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...