Monday, August 10, 2015

Las Delicias

Finding food new foods to try near work is always a challenge.  Out of the blue, one day, my coworker had a craving for empanadas.  The only empanadas that I’ve tried before are the ones from Kensington Market, which are Chilean.  Good old Google returned a page from Insauga which lists the top 5 Columbian empanadas in Mississauga.  So off we went for a lunch date.

Las Delicias is a tiny restaurant in strip mall, where you probably wouldn’t notice if you weren’t looking specifically for them.  Once you enter, you feel like you are at someone’s home.  The decor isn't amazing, but it's comfy.  The main language that you hear is Spanish, which makes me feel a little left out as I'm not a Spanish speaker.  There’s a lady that works behind the counter, I always see her when we go, I wonder if she’s the owner.  She’s super friendly.  We of course order empanadas, they offer both chicken and beef, bandeja paisa, and sobre barriga. 

The empanadas didn’t look like the empanadas I’ve had before.  First off, they are much smaller, and second, the shell is made of corn flour and deep fried.  Flavour wise, they’re ok.  I wasn’t a fan of the beef one because it was mostly potato filling with some ground beef.   Reminded me of a samosa filling with less flavour.  But all empanadas come with a salsa/hot sauce.  This home made recipe that they serve here is amazing!  So much flavour, from the onions and cilantro, and just spicy enough.
Empanadas











The bandeja paisa is a typical dish that people seem to like to order when they visit.  It’s meat, meat, and more meat.  A little overwhelming for me.  There were 2 slices of thinly sliced steak, pork belly, sausage, beans and rice, fried egg, an arepa and fried plantains all over rice.  Everything was pretty good, just too much for me.  I probably ate 1/3 of it. 
Bandeja Paisa











The sobre barriga was delicious (and I forgot to take a picture of it).  It’s stewed flank steak with yucca and potato served with a  tomato sauce  over rice, with a side of salad.  The flank steak was so tender, it was just falling apart, melt in your mouth.  Add some of that hot sauce/salsa….and omg……

Just a note, if you plan on going with a large group of people, it's probably not a good idea.  They just can't fit large groups.  Just call ahead for takeout and eat at home or the office.

Las Delicias
59 Dundas St. W,
Mississauga, ON
L5B 1H7

Phone:  905-232-0060

Hours:  Monday - Sunday 8:30am - 8:30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...