Saturday, November 7, 2015

Charlie's Caribbean Cuisine

The longer that I work in Mississauga, the more that I discover there’s some hidden places to go to for lunch.  It’s not the closest to work, but that’s still better than what I originally thought Mississauga was, a culinary wasteland.  What I’m discovering are these family run places or what many would consider to be hole in the walls.  This is where you will usually find authentic food and an affordable price.   This is where you will find the locals that have originated from those countries.  However, for most North Americans, most people prefer the tastes and flavours that have been adapted for North America.  This may include cuts of meats that are more mainstream, or even dumbing down of spices used.  I say give me the real deal!

My coworker, originally from Trinidad, suggested we try Charlie’s because we both had a craving for jerk chicken.  She says this is authentic, from back home.  Charlie’s is small, just a couple of tables, with some very enticing lunch specials.  While the tables never filled up, and no long lineup for take out, there was a steady stream of people ordering the lunch specials.  I ordered the jerk chicken on rice and peas lunch special (small size), my coworker ordered jerk chicken on fried rice.  She also suggested that we get an order of pholourie for me to try.

The pholourie are essentially savoury donuts holes.  It’s strange, they’re fluffy, yet dense.  The closest texure that I could describe them to be like would be a fluffier version of a sour cream donut hole.  Not that much flavour.  So it would go well with anything, taking on whatever flavour the other foods it’s paired with.  Ours was served with a tamarind sauce and a hot sauce.
Phlourie











My coworker’s jerk chicken on fried rice arrived.  And I got worried.  It was huge!  Turns out hers wasn’t the lunch special but the regular portion.  It was essentially an order of fried rice from a Chinese restaurant topped with a large jerk chicken leg.  I had a taste of her fried rice to see the difference between Jamaican fried rice and Chinese fried rice.  The main difference I was able to see was that they don’t have egg, more soy sauce, less wok hay and the rice itself was different.  The rice was very loose, and the grains were a bit larger.  I think I prefer Chinese fried rice, just what I’m more used to I guess.  I forgot to take a picture of her dish.

My jerk chicken on rice and peas arrived.  The lunch special was a ‘small’ portion.  It was pretty big to me.  The rice and peas were ok.  Seems like may have gotten the end of the pot though.  There were some drier chunks.  But not a problem once I added more jerk sauce.  The jerk sauce was more watery than what I’m used to.  But apparently that’s how it should be.  Other places must thicken it with corn starch or something.  The chicken was so good though.  When I crave jerk I tend to order jerk pork, more fat, keeps it moist.  Chicken tends to be dry.  But this chicken was so moist!  Could be because the chicken leg was pretty big too.  Spices wise was seasoned very well, almost a bit too spicy. 
Jerk Chicken Lunch Special











Would definitely come back again, but would need to hope that the parking situation is a bit better.  It’s located in a small strip plaza with limited parking.  They also own their own Caribbean supermarket next door.  Great for buying Caribbean snacks.

Charlie's Caribbean Cuisine
3055 Hurontario St.,
Mississauga, ON
L5A 2G9

Phone:  (905) 949-0663

Hours:  Monday - Friday 10:30a - 9:00p
             Saturday 10:00a - 9:00p
             Sunday 10:30a - 7:00p

http://charliescaribbeancuisine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...