Monday, September 5, 2016

Nana

I'm finding it more and more difficult to find time to write posts.  Which explains why I'm so far behind.  I've even tried to tell myself that I just need to do one post a night after dinner to get caught up.  I could do the easy way out, like I've seen on many other blog posts and essentially do a "I was here" post, but I just can't bring myself to doing that.  Whats the point of posting if I'm not actually putting any sort of opinion or thought into it right?

This post for Nana I felt like I needed to post sooner rather than later because I was super annoyed at their rules/service.  Nana is the sister restaurant of Khao San Road.  On the bottom of their menu, it says that if you have any food allergies to let your server know.  So when I was telling my waiter what I wanted to eat that night, I politely requested that my dish not include bean sprouts.  He said that cannot be done, and for me to choose something else.  So then I asked, if it cannot be omitted, can they just make sure that it's throughly cooked.  He again said no, the chef does not change their dishes so that I need to order something else.  So whats the point in me telling you I cannot eat something when you are not willing to do anything about it?  In the end, I had to change my order to something else (there weren't many options to choose from since the menu was quite small).  I hate being told what I can or cannot eat, especially if I'm paying!  I ended up ordering the pad see ew with pork, and the hubby ordered the mi ga ti with pork.  What annoyed me even more was that as I was waiting for my meal to arrive, I saw other people's khao soi, and pad thai (the dishes I wanted to eat originally), coming out of the kitchen, with just a raw handful of raw bean sprouts sitting on top of the dish.  How  hard is it to just not add that handful of raw bean sprouts to the dish before handing it off to the waiter?!  Yes I know it would change the texture of the dish because I would be missing that fresh crunch.  But if i'm asking for it to omit it, I am expecting that fresh crunch to not be there.  I felt like steam was coming out of my ears.....

Food wise, my pad see ew, was ok.  Its essentially tastes like a Thai version of the Chinese fried rice noodle with beef dish.  The noodle itself is slightly different.  Looks like a pappardelle, but tastes like a chewier rice noodle (hor fun).  The sauce, is soy sauce and oyster sauce based and cooked with chicken, egg and gai lan.  I have to admit there was some good 'wok hay'.  Hubby's mi ga ti with pork started off with a good tasting red curry base with the addition of ground pork and tofu.  Reminded me of ma po tofu, but in a soupy curry sauce.  The noodles were the thin rice noodles, and super overcooked.  Overcooked to the point where if you tried to pick up the noodles with your fork the noodles would break.  You essentially needed to eat this dish with a spoon.  The dish also came out at borderline room temperature, too cold for my liking.  My dish came out piping hot, so not sure if my hubby's dish was cooked first and left sitting until my dish was done to bring both out at the same time.   Hubby's dish included bean sprouts, and again it was just an addition of raw bean sprouts to the top of his dish, like a garnish......
Pad See Ew

Mi Ga Ti with Pork



















Due to the inflexibility of the kitchen, I would not come back.  Not to mention, Pai, my favourite Thai restaurant is in a more accessible area for me for when my Thai cravings come back.  Also, unless you are of a group of 4, you will have to share tables with others.  I think all their tables are for 4, with one table for 2.

Nana
785 Queen St. West,
Toronto, ON
M6J 1G1

Phone:  (647) 352-5773

Hours:  Monday - Tuesday CLOSED
             Wednesday - Thursday 5:00p - 10:00p
             Friday - Sun 5:00p - Late

http://www.stnnana.com/main

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...