Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Satay Sate

I'm not familiar with Indonesian food at all.  I think the closest encounter to Indonesian food was on a cruise ship many many years ago.  I ordered some noodle or fried rice dish (its been that long, that I can't even remember) for my main for dinner.  I just remember it tasting good.  I'm sure though that it probably wasn't very authentic, and probably no where near what the dish would taste like in Indonesia, but nevertheless I enjoyed it.  So when a friend recommended Satay Sate, I dragged the hubby to try them out.

We went for a late lunch on a Saturday afternoon.  The place is small, but there is seating, all bar height seating.  I actually hate that kind of seating, but that's just because I'm short.  Service wise, its almost cafeteria style.  You order and pay at the cash, and they bring out your food when it's ready.  The visit started off not that great.  There was a group of people in front of us that couldn't figure out what to order.  And I was hungry.  I've become one of those people that get HANGRY.....so I was not happy.  I have to admit, this was not the fault of the restaurant.  So at this point, I was quite annoyed already, and finally it was our turn to order.  We ordered the nasi goreng, and the beef satay.  Unfortunately this took a long time too because the cashier was new.  She didn't know how to put in the order.....ughh......

Back to the more important topic, the actual food.  Our food arrived relatively quickly.   And it smelled so good!  My nasi goreng was like a garlic fried rice, topped with a fried egg, pieces of chicken and a cucumber salad.  It was delicious.  The rice was fried well, with lots of garlic flavour.  I just wish the chicken was mixed into the fried rice.  My other complaint would be the the rice got increasingly spicy as I ate it.  It would have been nice if there was a warning about the level of spiciness, or if there was the possibility of customizing how spicy the dish would be.
Nasi Goreng










The beef satay, there were 2 skewers drizzled with a peanut sauce, served with a side salad and some coconut rice.  We've never had coconut rice before, but the hubby loved it.  He asked if we could try and make coconut rice at home.  Now I just need to find a recipe.  The beef satay was just ok.  The beef was tender, but almost like it was tenderized with something.  The downside of the beef was that it was pretty stuck onto the bamboo skewer.  We tried taking it off with a fork but it was so stuck we couldn't, so we had to pull off pieces with our teeth.  It was almost dangerous to eat!
Beef Satay










As for how authentic it is, I have no clue.  I would definitely go back and try some of their other dishes.  If you hate bar height seating as much as I do, get takeout.

Satay Sate
5025 Yonge St.,
North York, ON
M2N 5P2

Phone:  (647) 351-7283

Hours:  Monday - Sunday 1100a - 900p

http://www.sataysate.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...