Sunday, July 27, 2014

Gourmet Gringos

There's something I find fun about food trucks.  I'm not sure what it is.  But whenever I get a chance to eat from a food truck, I make sure to go and give it a try.  When I was in Vancouver last year, I made sure to check out the food truck festival there.  I was in heaven!  And because it's a summer long event (it's on every weekend), there wasn't much of a lineup at each of the trucks.  In Toronto, it's quite unfortunate, but food trucks aren't nearly as accessible as in other cities mostly due to laws and bylaws in Toronto.  I'm happy to say though, that Toronto is slowly getting there.  There have been quite a few pilot projects, and now we have Food Truck Alley 1 and 2 for select days during the week with a few rotating food trucks that will park there during the lunch hours.

Because where I work, I don't have much of an opportunity to try out food trucks.  So when I heard that Gourmet Gringos opened a location in Aurora, I decided to pop in.  The other reason was my dog's groomer is close by, so I had an hour to kill.

I asked the server what she would suggest.  She said her favourite were the fish tacos.  I don't eat fish normally, so I chose the next most similar, shrimp tacos.  The hubby ordered the chimichanga.  Each of the mains come with 2 sides.  From what I remember, there were refried beans, salad, sopa de frijol, rice and beans, and some other stuff to choose from.  The food didn't take too long to arrive, which I expected since there weren't many in restaurant diners.  But there were many people who came in for take out.

Shrimp tacos, 3 in an order.  Looked good, tasted blah.  To be honest, I was expecting the shrimp to be grilled, not deep fried like popcorn shrimp.  Not only that, the shrimp were just very slightly warm, also overcooked.   The upside, they used corn tortillas.
Shrimp Tacos














The chimichanga was massive (I think it was almost a foot long) and super greasy looking.  I can't remember if an authentic chimichanga is deep fried and then broiled with cheese, if its just broiled with cheese.  In any case, this was a deep-fried cheesy mess.  Inside there was beef, lots of beans and rice, and more cheese.  Flavour was not bad, nothing to write home about.  I'm not sure how the hubby finished this dish and not feel sick.....
Chimichanga














From what we ordered, the best thing was the pineapple chilli sauce.  Super flavourful.  I wouldn't make a trip up to Aurora just to try Gourmet Gringos. But if you happen to pass by the food truck, then by all means give them a try.  Remember to ask for the chilli sauce!

Gourmet Gringos
15380 Bayview Ave.
Aurora, ON
L4G 0K7

905-713-9993

Hours:  Sunday - Thursday 11:00a - 9:00p
             Friday - Saturday 11:00a - 11:00p

http://gourmetgringos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...