Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Bakesale Cupcakes

Every once in a while, I will purchase a 'deal' from Wagjag, Groupon, Fabfind etc.  It's a way for me to try out a new place for cheaper than it would normally cost.  In this case, I bought a coupon $15 for a dozen cupcakes at Bakesale.  I love cupcakes, if they're done right.  They have to be moist without being greasy and the buttercream has to be light.  I hate icing, it's too heavy and too sweet.  I think these should be easy to meet criteria.

Bakesale's store interior looked super cute.  Reminded me of a cozy country home with cupcakes on display behind the counter.  Cupcakes cost $2.75 and up depending on the flavor.  Thats some pretty pricey cupcakes there.  Good thing I had my coupon.  For my dozen cupcakes I chose the following flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Chocolate Mint, Peanut Butter, Red Velvet, Lemon, Carrot.

Whenever I visit any cupcake store, I always judge the cupcake by their Red Velvet.  I love the redness of the cupcake, the chocolately flavor, and the cream cheese buttercream.  Bakesale fell short.  It had nice colour, but the cupcake was DRY and the cream cheese frosting was dense, too sweet and too heavy.  In general their buttercream was too heavy and thick for my liking, it was more like icing to me.  Each time I ate a cupcake I had to scrape off half the icing.  Such a waste I know!  Their Vanilla and Chocolate cupcake bottoms, nothing special, they were moist and light, but tasted like it was not made from scratch, but made from box mix.  It had a metallic aftertaste.  Lemon cupcake, cupcake had no lemon flavor, was just a plain vanilla cupcake that was heavy and dry.  The only lemon flavoring was in the lemon icing.  The best cupcake had to be the carrot one.  Yummm....real carrot shreds in the cupcake which was moist.

Bakesale Cupcakes










Considering the distance, expensive regular price, and medicore cupcakes.  I will not be visiting again.  Why is it so hard to find good cupcakes?  You would assume that if there's so many cupcakeries open, that the cupcakes must be good!  Unfortunately that's not the case.

Bakesale has two locations.  I visited Bakesale Six Points.

Bakesale Six Points
5230 Dundas St. W., Toronto, ON
416-792-6167
M-F 10-8, Sat. 9-7, Sun. 10-6

Bakesale Kingsway
3076 Bloor St. W., Toronto, ON
416-232-2253
M-F 10-7, Sat. 9-6, Sun. 10-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...