Thursday, April 26, 2012

Golden Horse

Ever since coming back from Hong Kong last year, my fascination with Hong Kong style cafe foods has started to grow.  The food is usually decent, nothing over the top of fancy, but the price is always good with good sized portions too.  I typically go to this style of cafe for breakfast because I like the breakfast combo sets.  I lie, I actually just go because of the egg sandwiches included in the sets.  These sets usually cost $5 or less and either comes with a main such as pork and preserved vegetable vermicelli, or spam and egg instant noodles, a side of condensed milk toast or egg sandwich and a drink such as milk tea, coffee, horicks etc.  So much cheaper than a traditional type western breakfast.

This time, we went to Golden Horse, a HK/Macau style cafe, for dinner.  The dinner specials averaged around $9.99 and came with tomato soup or soup of the day and a hot drink.  Three of our friends ordered from the dinner special menu, seafood fried rice, smoked salmon on rice with white cream sauce and chicken filet and gravy on spaghetti.  I forgot to take a picture of the spaghetti since it came so much later than rest of the other meals.  The seafood fried rice was pretty good, not greasy, and flavorful.  The smoke salmon rice was just ok. 
Seafood Fried Rice

Smoked Salmon Rice



















The rest of us ordered off the normal menu, beef brisket noodle 'buddies' style, baked porkchop rice, and beef and vegetable fried noodle.  I wish I was able to enjoy my meal more, but my stomach was hurting so much that night.  My stomach pains usually occur when I have had coffee during the day and had to wait too long for food.  From the little bit that I did eat, I enjoyed the noodles buddies style.  The broth was thick, rich in beef and pickled bamboo flavor, so it was a bit tart/sour.  The brisket was nice and tender.  My friend complained that his beef and vegetable fried noodle was very salty.  But he continued eating because he was starving.  The baked porkchop rice was ok, but the sauce was missing something.  Needs some improvement. 
Beef Brisket Noodles Buddies Style

Beef & Vegetable Fried Noodle

Baked Porkchop Rice



























I almost forgot, but we also ordered a porkchop bun too since this is a Macau speciality. And this restaurant is supposed to be Macau style.  When it came, I was disappointed.  It was nothing like the porkchop bun like I had from the famous Tai Lei Loi Cafe.  This one tasted like a McD's Filet-o-Fish with a porkchop instead of fish.
Pork Chop Bun










I don't know if i'm the only one that found the Macau style dishes disappointing or what, because lots of other customers seemed to order and enjoy the baked porkchop rice and porkchop buns.  I will definitely return for their other since it's so close to home.  I have yet to try their breakfast specials.

Golden Horse
4580 Hwy 7 East Unit 3
Markham, ON L3R 1M5
(905) 940-3288

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...