Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Guu Sakabar: Sake Sip & Learn Tweetup

I learned of this Sake Sip & Learn event through a friend.  Cost $50 per person, 5 different sakes (is that the plural of sake?) to try and food is included.  I don't know much about sake, heck I don't know much about alcohol in general.  So I figured this would be a good event to go to.  Also, it's a great excuse to finally go and try Guu Sakabar.  I've been to Guu Izakaya multiple times and enjoyed the food and atmosphere there.

After arrival, we registered ourselves, and found a table to sit.  At each of the tables there were paper place mats with the menu for the night and each of the sakes we were going to try.  When everyone was settled, we got a brief introduction and explanation of what sake is and how it's made.  Because of Guu's loud nature, it was VERY hard to hear anything.  I felt bad for the speaker because it was really hard to pay attention to what he was trying to say.

Three of the five sakes we got to try was from the Ontario Spring Water Sake Company.  They brought over their most popular offerings:  Namanama, Teion Sakura, and Genshu.  The other 2 sakes were from Japan: Murai Family Honjozo and the last one I cant remember the full name it's Yoshi no Gawa ______ Ginjo.  My fave for the night was the Genshu from Ontario Spring Water Sake Company.  The sakes that are made in the Distillery District had significantly more flavor than the ones imported from Japan.  And it was explained to us that when you import/export these sakes you have to pasteurize them.  And the pasteurization ends up getting rid of the flavor.  So the local sakes we were able to taste hints of citrus, and plum like accents.
3 Sakes from Ontario Spring Water Sake Company










I can't not mention the food.  I honestly was expecting that for $50, which included the alcohol and food, that I was going to leave hungry.  Before I even walked into Guu, I did quick scope around the neighborhood to see what we could snack on after.  In the end, I walked out full!  The menu for the nigh included: Edamame, Assorted Sashimi, Gomaae, Seaweed Salad, Karaage, Gindara, Mushroom & Cheese Bibimbap, and Coconut Ice Cream with Yuzu Sauce.  Dishes were served family style.  I ate most of everything with the exeception of the Gindara and Sashimi.  I did try a piece of seared tuna from the sashmi platter.  Everyone around the table gushed about how good it was.  I didn't like it much.  I know I shouldn't, but I was still comparing with the Tuna in Japan.  Its been over a year, and I can still remember the sweetness and texture of it.  Favorite dish of the night was the Karaage.  I love my deep fried chicken. :)  Food quality of Guu Sakabar seems to be the same as Guu Izakaya. 
Edamame
Gomaae






Seaweed Salad


Assorted Sashimi





Karaage



Gindara



Mushroom Cheese Bibimbap






Coconut Ice Cream with Yuzu Sauce


























This was a super fun night, being surrounded by good food, good drinks and good company!  I think I need to make a trip to Ontario Spring Water Sake Company for some sake.

Guu Sakabar
559 Bloor Street W, Toronto, O.N. M5S 1Y6
647-343-1101
[Mon-Thu] 17:00 - 23:30
[Fri - Sat ] 17:00 - 24:30
[Sun] 17:00 - 23:30

Ontario Spring Water Sake Company
55 Mill Street, Building 4
Toronto ON M5A 3C4
416-365-SAKE (7253)
Mon-Thu, Sun 12-6 Fri 12-7 Sat 11-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...