Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Le Cafe Michi

This was the sister restaurant to Sushi Kaji, but now they have separated.  I have yet to try Sushi Kaji.  What's stopping me is the fact that I don't really eat fish, and it costs $120+ per person for their omakase there.  I need to save a few more months before I can bring myself to going.

I have been repeatedly told by a friend that Le Cafe Michi has really fresh fish.  Even though I won't really be tasting much of the fish there, I figured the hubby would enjoy it.  He doesn't get to eat much fish at home, because I don't enjoy the smell of fish.  And we rarely go out to Japanese restaurants, because Japanese restaurants have a limited  selection of non fish items.  This visit I hoped would also be an eye opener for my in laws since they like Japanese food so much, but only eat at AYCE restaurants.  I personally hate AYCE, it's always quantity over quality, and I don't eat much.

On this visit, we ordered the Chicken KatsuDon, Cafe Au Lait Chirashi, Egg & Eel Rice, and the Chyo-Chin Bento.  The KatsuDon came with a normal green salad, the greens were very fresh.  The other meals came with tea or coffee, seaweed salad or green salad, miso soup and a slice of cake from their display by the front door.

Seaweed Salad












Portions here were very large in my opinion.  My KatsuDon was huge.  I couldn't finish it.  I have to say though, that the chicken cutlet could have been a little crispier.
Chicken KatsuDon










I did steal a piece of tuna from the hubby's chirashi.  That was the freshest tasting piece of tuna I've had in Toronto.  Wayyyyy better than Guu!  But not quite as good as in Tokyo :).  I also got to try a piece of karaage from the bento box.  That was just ok.  Guu's karaage was much better.  I was told that the Eel and Egg rice had a large portion of eel.  So i assume that's good?
Chirashi

Chyo-Chin Bento


Eel & Egg Rice


























Last but not least, the desserts!  There were so many cakes to choose from!  Half of the cakes are freshly baked by the owner, the other half were La Rocca cakes.  We chose to try the Chocolate Sake cake, Green Tea & Red Bean cake, and Hazelnut cake.  I LOVED the Chocolate Sake cake.  Layers of smooth chocolate mousse with a hint of sake.  The Green Tea & Red Bean cake was delicious too.  Good green tea flavor, I just found the red bean to be a little too sweet for my liking.  The hazelnut cake was my least favorite.  Too sweet. I have a suspicion this was a cake from La Rocca, but the in laws wanted it.....so....they finished it.

Before we left the restaurant, my hubby was already thinking of when we could come back and which one of our friends we were going to ask to join us!  As for the eye opener for the in laws, I have failed.  They just thought this restaurant was ok.  I ddn't realize it before, but I have found out the ONLY fish they eat is salmon.  Next time definitely not bringing them back here again.  Cheaper to take them to their favorite AYCE Japanese restaurant.  But then I would have to suffer by eating subpar food. :( 

This restaurant is very small, if you want to eat here, it's best if you make a reservation.

Le Cafe Michi
1802 Pharmacy Ave
Toronto, ON M1T 1H6
(416) 490-9688
Tue-Sat 11:30 am - 9 pm
Sun 11:30 am - 8 pm

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...