Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lola's Kitchen

I've been meaning to try this place out for brunch for the last few months.  So many positive reviews about this place.  But the time that we were THIS close to actually going, good thing we gave them a call and asked about wait time.  They told us to come 3 hours later.  I was hungry, I'm not waiting 3 hours. This time we were smarter.  We made reservations.

Everything on the menu was very typical brunch food.  There were eggs Benedict, brunch bowls, eggs with bacon or sausage or ham.  But what stood out to me most was their cheesecake stuffed french toast.  It sounded super unhealthy, but could be potentially VERY good.  I fought hard to fight the temptation to order it.  In the end I ordered a 'Shroom Benny, most of the table ordered the Brunch Bowl with eggs cooked various ways, and a Croque Lola.

The food came out at varying times.  And it was just warm, not hot.  I like my food hot, so this kind of bothered me a bit.  My 'Shroom Benny reminded me of Eggs Florentine.  But instead of it being on an English muffin, it was on a whole wheat biscuit.  This biscuit was not fluffy, but dense.  I did like their version of a hollandaise.  It had some dill in the sauce.
'Shroom Benny










The Brunch Bowl had sweet potato and regular potatoes, onions, mushrooms, spinach, house made pork sausage, cheese curds and eggs any way you like.  Our table ordered 3 brunch bowls, one with eggs sunny side up, one over easy and one with scrambled eggs.  I guess the in laws like to eat the same thing?  I tried a bit of my hubby's and didn't like it that much.  I found it too salty in some spots and not salty enough in other spots.  Just not very consistent overall.  Also to mention, the sausage was pretty spicy, the mother in law couldn't eat it.
Brunch Bowl










Croque Lola, I didn't get to try.  But there were complaints about it too.  I must have heard "Where's the cheese in this?" several times.  I guess this croque didn't have enough cheese in it.
Croque Lola










After feeling not so satisfied with my meal, I caved and ordered the petite size Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast.  I had high expectations for this dish.  I have only read good reviews about it.  I was expecting warm and soft lemon vanilla cheesecake in between 2 slices of moist on the inside crunchy on the outside french toast.  What we got was dry lemon cheesecake with dry french toast.  I liked the raspberry sauce though!
Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast










I have to say, I was pretty disappointed with this restaurant, especially reading so many good reviews about it.  It's not only the food that disappointed me, but the service as well.  When we were served our coffee, milk and cream was brought over, no sugar, we had to ask for it.  And when the orders for our meal was taken, the server was about to walk away without taking my order.  I'm not sure I would be coming back for a repeat visit especially since there's so many other good breakast/brunch places downtown.  But in case you do decide to make a visit on the weekend, make a reservation because it was super busy when we left.

Lola's Kitchen
634 Church St.
Toronto, ON
416-966-3991
Monday - Friday: 11am - 3pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9am - 4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...