Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Weekend of Bad Addictions

As I was just off loading more food pictures from my camera to my computer, I noticed I forgot to blog about 2 shops I deliberately made a trip to!  During the same day we went to Lady Marmalade, I also went to Mary MacLeod's Shortbread and Soma. 

Soma is my absolute favorite chocolate store in Toronto.  The chocolate is quite pricey, but oh so worth it!  I have to portion out the chocolate to 1 piece per day because it's super rich and flavorful and also because if I don't, it becomes one expensive addiction.  Each time I visit Soma, I always have to have their bicerin. Whats so special about the bicerin here?   The chocolate that they use is the same as their Mayan hot chocolate, hot chocolate mixed with chilies.  This time I noticed they have affogato too!  Dilemma!  Whats a girl to do?  In the end I decided to try something new, the affogato, drowned in their Mayan hot chocolate instead of espresso.  Yum yum!  For future chocolate snack cravings, I picked up their Aleppo Pepper Bar and their Old School Bar.  On the way to the cashier, I noticed they now sell a chocolate spread, Gianera.  So I got one of those to try too.  I will be blogging about the chocolate spread in later post.

Soma













I've been meaning to visit Mary MacLeod's Shortbread store for the longest time.  But relative to where I live and normally shop, the store is very out of the way.  As soon as we opened the door to the store, it smelled of butter, butter cookies, a baker's dream.  You had the option of buying individual cookies or cookies in containers.  Because we had just had a big meal.  We opted to buy 1 single fresh cookie to try and a box of pre-packaged cookies.  I found the fresh cookie, which was the coffee crunch flavor, to not be as buttery and crumbly as I would have expected.  A few days later, I tried the chocolate crunch shortbread, and this was one much better.  I haven't gotten around to trying to plain shortbread bunnies we bought as of yet.

Coffee Crunch Shortbread

Chocolate Crunch Shortbread & Plain Shortbread Bunnies


















Soma (Distillery District)
55 Mill Street
416-815-7662
Monday - Saturday: 10am to 8pm
Sunday: 11am to 6pm
http://www.somachocolate.com/

Mary MacLeod's Shortbread
639 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON.
M4M 1G4
Telephone: (416) 461-4576
Fax: (416) 461-7020
Monday - Wednesday: 10 am to 6 pm
Thursday & Friday: 10 am to 7 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10 am to 5 pm
http://www.marymacleod.ca/website/Default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...