Friday, August 23, 2013

Sonoya Japanese Noodle House


I love noodles!  Doesn't matter if it's fried, or in soup, but preferably in soup.  It’s my comfort food.   But finding a good ramen place that is not MSG laden is quite hard to find when you’re out of the downtown core of Toronto.  I found Sonoya by chance.  I had made plans to go to Nak Won at First Markham for dinner.  I wasn’t able to get a spot near Nak Won, so I had to park all the way on the other side of First Markham Place.  That’s when I spotted Sonoya with their grand opening sign and congratulatory flowers.  Good thing my friend was flexible and we popped in to Sonoya instead.  As it turns out, after doing some google research, Sonoya is a sister restaurant to Kenzo (Yonge & Steeles location, I don’t think it has any relations to the other Kenzo shops).

First visit to any ramen place, I always order the tonkotsu ramen.  I want to see if they can get this basic broth right to see if it’s worth coming back again.  My friend ordered the king ramen.  I’m not too sure what the difference in the broth for the king ramen is, to me it looked like there were just a larger variety and quantity of toppings on top of the noodles.

The tonkotsu broth was thick and creamy, and just the right amount of salt for me.  But I think for others, it may be a little bland on the bland side.  The chasiu were thick cuts, and not much fat layered in between which probably caused the pork to be quite dry.   I wouldn’t recommend ordering extra chasiu on your ramen unless you like dry pork.  The noodles itself were quite tasty, just the right amount of chewiness.

Overall, a decent ramen shop to satisfy a ramen craving.  But if you’re willing to make the trek downtown, I would suggest doing that instead.

Tonkotsu

King Ramen



















Sonoya Japanese Noodle House
3235 Highway 7 E, Unit 22
Markham, ON
905-944-0990

Hours: Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 10:30pm
            Sunday 11:30am - 9:30pm

http://www.kenzoramen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...