Friday, July 4, 2014

The Ace

I love watching the Food Network, especially Diners Drive Ins and Dives.  Whenever I plan a trip, I always see where Guy Fieri has gone, and try to fit in a restaurant or two that was on the show.  So when a local restaurant makes it onto the show, makes me want to go that much more.  I recently watched an old re-run in which The Ace was being featured. The Ace has been on my go to list for a while now since they were also featured on BlogTO's top 50 brunch restaurants in TO.  We popped in for brunch after a run in High Park.

I was really looking forward to brunch, partly because I was really hungry and the other part being that it's on the top 50 list!  Must be pretty good right.  Sad to say, but I was very disappointed.  Our table ordered Huevos Rancheros, a Breakfast Hash Special and The Ace Breakfast.  The Ace Breakfast was nothing special.  Nothing stood out about this dish.  The bacon wasn't particularly good, neither was the sausage.  The eggs were ok I guess.
The Ace Breakfast











The Breakfast Hash Special, I can't remember the actual name of the dish, but it was named 'something' hash.  Friend said it was bland.  Not much flavour.  The hash had some sort of meat, a whole bunch of cooked cabbage, topped off with an over easy egg.  
Breakfast Hash Special

My huevos I think could be considered the worst I've eaten.  The eggs were undercooked.  I'm sure you can see the super runny whites in the picture.  There was very little guacamole and salsa.  More would have been better.  On the menu it's advertised as corn tortillas, but I don't think it was made fully with corn flour.  I think theres a mix of corn and regular flour.  The texture was off from the stuff I eat at Kensington Market.  The absolute worst part of the dish was the fact that they tried to reheat the tortillas on a gas grill where there was to much flame.  In the picture I don't think you can see, but when I flipped over the tortilla, you can see the black gas 'fumes'.  I hate to leave food on my plate, and I hate to send food back, so i ate the stuff on top and left most of the tortilla on the plate.
Huevos Rancheros
So don't always believe what you read, or watch on TV.  You can get disappointed this way.

The Ace
231A Roncesvalles Ave, 
Toronto, ON
M6R 2L6

416-792-9972

Hours: Dinner Every Night 5pm - 11pm
            Lunch Weekdays 12pm - 3pm
            Brunch Saturday Sunday 930am - 3pm

http://www.theacetoronto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...