Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Grand Noodle

Grand Noodle has opened in that doomed corner of Commerce Gate.  Nothing really survives in that corner for some reason.  When I was on Yelp reading up on what to order at Grand Noodle, the general consensus was their submarines.  And no, their submarines are not like submarine sandwiches that we are all so used to.  These submarines are loaves of bread hollowed out and filled with rice and toppings.  So ridiculous sounding that I knew I wanted to try it.  Our order for the night was tomato sauce pork chop submarine, sake chicken with rice, and sweet potato noodle in fish broth.  All dishes come with a drink, hot milk tea, hot coffee etc.  Cold drinks theres an additional cost.  

The sweet potato noodle in fish broth was forgettable, as in don’t order it if you’re coming to eat.  If you want to eat fish broth noodle soup, go across the street to Times Square and eat at Deer Garden instead.  The broth itself was very bland.  It had the milky fish broth colour, but no sweet fish flavour, there was a bit of fishiness too.
Sweet Potato Noodle in Fish Broth










The sake chicken had no sake taste, but other than that was done quite well.  The chicken was cooked through, and very smooth.  Smooth is a very strange word to describe a chicken, but that’s a term Chinese people do use.  I guess it would be the opposite of overcooked and dry.  The dish is very similar to Hainanese Chicken Rice.
Sake Chicken & Rice










The thing I have been waiting for, the pork chop with tomato sauce submarine was MASSIVE!  The bread part was a whole Italian loaf that was hollowed out.  The bread was then filled with fried rice, topped with fried pork chop, tomato sauce, and a bit of grated cheese.  The entire thing was quickly baked/broiled.  How is this healthy?  I hope people don’t eat this often……  Taste wise, was pretty good, tasted like any other tomato pork chop baked rice really.  It was just interesting that it was all in a bread bowl.  For any normal sized appetite adult, the submarine could feed probably 3 people.  I wish I had put something next to it for size reference.
Tomato Pork Chop Submarine











I went another night with some other friends because I told them about the submarine rice.  We of course ordered a submarine rice, this time was the curry chicken one, and we also ordered the mustard beef, and black bean beef rice noodle.  The dish I liked least was the mustard beef.  It’s literally beef and some peppers cooked in mustard and served on top of rice.  The black bean beef rice noodle wasn’t very good either.  It was supposed to be a fried noodle, but it was too wet (saucy), no ‘wok hay’ at all.  The curry chicken submarine was just ok as well.  The submarine again was a hollowed out Italian loaf, this time, half of the bread bowl was filled with fried rice, the other was filled with curry sauce and chicken (bone on), and then topped with more curry sauce and chicken.  The curry sauce was the typical curry sauce that Chinese restaurants use.  Doesn’t really have that much flavour like Thai, Malay, or Indian curries.

Worth a visit just to try the submarine rice.

*** Update  I have been called out on the fact that I'm not a real foodie, I never really claimed I was, since I got some of my facts wrong.  I admit that i'm quite behind on my blog posts so yes I do make mistakes here or there.  So the soup noodle dish was with shiritaki noodles instead of sweet potato.  The broth was indeed fishy, which makes it worse because apparently they don't have fish soup, so it was the pork broth.  Fishy pork broth, need I say more?  They also mention that the menu doesn't offer black bean rice noodle.  Menus change.  I wish I took a picture as proof.  I just never thought I needed to do that.  My original opinion of Grand Noodle still stands unchanged.  Not worth a visit except of the novelty of the submarine rice.

As for the comment that I have removed from this post because of it's nasty nature, I believe it must be from one of the owners of Grand Noodles since they appear to know the menu quite well, and decided to post with a name of "Unknown".

Grand Noodle 
505 Highway 7 East, Unit 50-53
Markham, ON
L3T 7T1

Phone:  (905) 597-7782

Hours: Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 10:00 pm
            Friday - Saturday 11:00am - 12:00am
            Sunday 11:00am - 10:00pm

http://grandnoodle.ca 

1 comment:

  1. The food wasn't good and it was pricy compared to the other restaurants in the area. I wouldn't go back again

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...