Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Lobster Trap

The majority of the time that I eat lobster is usually at a Chinese restaurant where they cook it by stirfrying it with ginger and green onion.  The only other times where I've had lobster cooked any other way was during my trip to the East coast of Canada, and during my trips to New York City, both of which boil the lobster.

During that trip to the East coast, I was told that the best sized lobsters to eat are between 1.5lbs to 2lbs.  Anything smaller than that, the meat would be too watery, and you're essentially paying for the weight of the shells.  Anything larger than that, the meat starts to get tough.  When eating lobster, the best way to tell if a lobster was fresh, is by the claw meat.  Fresh lobster has claw meat that is full and meaty.  Lobster that may have still been alive, but sitting in a tank for several days will have claw meat that is rubbery.  That is because in the tank, the lobsters don't get fed, and they end up eating themselves.  

The only reason we went to The Lobster Trap was because there was a coupon for it, $35 for $70 worth of lobster.  As it turns out, that didn't really allow for much food.  We ordered crab cakes, caesar salad, lobster bisque, and a 1.5lb steamed lobster.  When I ordered crab cakes, I thought about Joe's Stone Crab's crab cakes.  So full of meaty crab meat.  When these crab cakes arrived, my husband said, where's the rest of them.  They looked more like tiny crab meat balls.  There was crab meat, but quite a lot of filler as well.  
Crab Cakes











The lobster bisque was nothing to rave about.  Hardly any lobster, too thick and cream tasting.  Where's the lobster taste?
Lobster Bisque











The Caesar salad doesn't need to be mentioned.  It was just romaine lettuce with store bought dressing.  Along with the meal we were served garlic bread.  This was very oily, but very good. 

Garlic Bread











And the main course, the lobster.  The lobster meat was fresh, the claw was still nice and meaty.  Too bad we didn't get to choose a female lobster, because the roe always tastes good.  I'm not a fan of the tomalley, which works out great because my husband is.  There was a little dish of melted clarified butter as well, lit underneath with a tea candle to keep the butter warm and from solidifying.
Steamed Lobster











I'm not sure I would come back to eat here, I would rather save up my money and wait for another trip to NYC, or just go to a Chinese restaurant.

The Lobster Trap
8099 Weston Rd.
Vaughan, ON
L4L 0C1

905-787-3211

http://www.lobstertraprestaurant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...