Saturday, August 13, 2016

Shanghai Dimsum

Shanghai Dimsum, is kind of a misleading name.  I actually came across them when I was looking on Yelp for a location for Sunday brunch/dimsum.  And when I looked at the pictures on Yelp, this looked like any regular Shanghainese food.  So I skipped over it for that particular brunch meal.

Checking out Shanghai Dimsum came when my friend from Germany came back for a visit.  She says there isn't much good Asian food in Europe.  While I have not tried any Asian food in Europe, I do know that it's super expensive.  I was in Amsterdam earlier this year, and walked by their small Chinatown because I wanted to check out the Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Temple.  I love Buddhist temples, I find the smell of incense so calming.  Anyways, in Amsterdam, a bowl of wonton noodles was 7 euros, and a bowl of pho was 9 euros.  So ridiculous.  So off we went to Shanghai Dimsum.  What we ordered was highly dictated by what my friend wanted to eat and what good deals the restaurant had. We ordered a savoury sticky rice roll, stir fried sticky rice cakes, beef brisket noodle in soup, pan fried XLB (only $3.99 for first order), pan fried dumplings, steamed soup filled dumplings, and steamed silk skinned XLB (crab & pork only $3.99 for first order).

The savoury sticky rice roll, stir fried sticky rice cakes, beef brisket noodle in soup, and pan fried dumplings were pretty standard.  They tasted like how they would taste at any other Shanghainese restaurant.  I have to say that the stir fried sticky rice cakes had good 'wok hay' though.
Savoury Sticky Rice Roll

Stir Fried Sticky Rice Cakes

Beef Brisket in Noodle Soup

Pan Fried Dumplings




































What stood out to me here were the XLB (xiao long bao, or steamed soup dumplings).  The skin of the steamed dumplings were the thinnest from any Shanghainese restaurant in the GTA.  Mind you, I haven't been to all of the Shanghainese restaurants in the GTA either.  So some of you may say, that there's thinner skinned dumplings out there.  I wasn't able to really tell the difference in the filling from the normal pork one with the crab and pork.  So next time I go, I would just get the normal pork ones (they were the ones with the thinnest skin anyways).  The pan fried XLB was interesting, I've never had those before.  They were like a cross between the pan fried dumpling and the steamed soup dumpling.  The filling wasn't as juicy/soupy as the normal steamed soup dumplings.
Pan Fried XLB

Steamed Soup Dumplings (Pork)

Steamed Silk Skinned XLB (Crab & Pork)



























While looking on their website, which is rare I find for Asian restaurants to have websites, they have two locations, one in Richmond Hill and one in Scarborough.  Just wanted to note that the one I went to was the Richmond Hill location.

Shanghai Dimsum
330 York Regional Road 7,
Richmond Hill,
L4B 3P8

Phone: (905) 597-5866

Hours:  Monday - Sunday 9:00a - 10:00p

 http://www.shanghaidimsum.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...