Monday, August 1, 2016

The Dumpling Shop

I love having dumplings in the freezer because they’re great for last minute meals because they’re so quick to cook.  Filling for the dumplings can be anything really.  There are vegetarian dumplings which is I think filled with vegetables, vermicelli noodles, and egg as a binder.  Meat dumplings can have pork, beef, or chicken, mixed in with some sort of flavouring, for example, shitake mushrooms, celery, bok choy, cabbage, leeks or chives.  The dumplings can be eaten alone as a full on meal, or they can be an addition to some soup noodles.  I personally like eating my dumplings as a full on meal, dipped in some dark chi kang vinegar mixed with chili oil.   

I usually like to make my own dumplings.  I have to admit that I don’t make my own dumpling wrappers.  It’s easy to do, but I’m lazy.  I just make my own filling.  My filling usually consists of a small portion of hand minced chicken breast, mixed with a bunch of vegetables (could be cabbage, leeks, watercress), shitake mushrooms and egg.  Lately I’ve been pretty busy and tired, so I wanted to look for a place that sells hand made dumplings as opposed to the generic ones that you find at the supermarket.  Handy Yelp, led me to the Dumpling Shop in the Yonge and Sheppard area.  Pricing is decent, around $8 for 30 frozen dumplings.  Disclaimer, they use MSG in their dumplings, I asked the lady that works there, and she told me that they do.  But there’s MSG in supermarket dumplings too, so while I try to stay away from MSG, it’s kind of hard to avoid. 

 Dumplings themselves were quite large, with a large amount of filling.  I bought the pork and chive filling dumplings.  The minor down side is that the dumpling wrapper skin is a bit thicker than I would like.  But I think I would still go back for more dumplings, it’s still better than the frozen supermarket ones.
Pork & Chive Dumplings










The Dumpling Shop
184 Willowdale Ave., 
Toronto, ON
M2N 4Y9

Phone:  (416) 512-2323

Hours:  Monday - Saturday 9:00a - 7:00p
             Sunday CLOSED

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...