Monday, January 27, 2014

Farmhouse Tavern

I have been so far behind on my posts that it's ridiculous.  This past Saturday, as I was blogging, I said to my husband, i'm only 5 behind!!!!  I always try to post in the order of which I visit the restaurants, which I think partly causes the delay.  I'm always eager to post when the restaurant is good, and then not so keen on posting when the restaurant is bad.

But i'm SUPER DUPER excited about today's post!  I couldn't wait to finish the 5 other posts first before I got to this one.  Farmhouse Tavern gets a bud in line and for good reason.  Do I really want to share the deliciousness of this restaurant and make it busier than it already is?  There's still many dishes on the brunch menu i'm looking forward to going back to try, and am trying to plan the return visit.  By the way, we got the best seat in the house!  And I apologize in advance for the bad pictures, I left my camera at home. :(
Farmhouse Tavern Kitchen











Ever since Goody's closed down, I have been on the hunt for the best burger place.  Burgers Priest was close, but no cigar. They were just too greasy for my stomach.  Farmhouse Tavern does an amazing burger.  The Barnyard Burger's patty was cooked to a medium rare to medium (seasoned well), and topped with a thick slice of smokey bacon, creamy goats cheese, iceberg lettuce and one giant fried duck egg.  It also came with a huge side of home made fries, with smokey ketchup.
Barnyard Burger











I ordered the Mother and Child Reunion.  Cute name, but kind of morbid.  The 'Mother' aspect refers to the slices of cured duck breast, and 'Child' refers to the deep fried duck eggs.  I had the option of adding foie gras for $12 and I took it.  When it arrived, I shouldn't have taken it.  The slice of foie was tiny.  it was VERY good though, melt in your mouth.  Presentation of this dish was almost like art.  The salad was beautiful.  What I thought was a piece of bacon in my salad was actually carrot.  This salad had heirloom carrots, purple and yellow.  There's a vegetable in it that I'm still not quite sure of.  Everything was so fresh and crunchy.  The duck breast was very delicious.  It was almost as if I was eating candied duck breast.  The duck eggs appeared to be soft boiled, then coated with panko and deep fried.  The yolks were still very runny.  I didn't realize but it appears that duck eggs have very large yolks!
Mother and Child Reunion











Who wants to come with me next?

Farmhouse Tavern
1627 Dupont St.
Toronto, ON
M6P 3S8

416-561-9114

Hours:  Thursday - Friday 6pm - not sure when the end time is
             Saturday & Sunday 11am - 3pm, 6pm - not sure when the end time is

http://farmhousetavern.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...