Sunday, January 4, 2015

Catch Up #3 - Brunch: La Cubana, Starving Artist

I am now in print!!!  Well one post was printed.  My friend took a picture from the restaurant and sent it to me.
My Blog In Print!!!













Just had to share that with you.  I thought I would have had a lot more time to blog over the holidays, but instead I decided to watch the first 3 seasons of 2 Broke Girls, and organized the kitchen.  So still playing catch up.  This one is on brunch.

La Cubana
This one has been on my list ever since it opened.  But it's so far out of the way, which is the reason why it took me so long to try it.  It doesn't matter what kind of breakfast meals I have, but I don't think I've ever had one that I didn't like.  But I have to say western breakfasts (bacon and eggs), can get kinda boring flavour wise.  La Cubana serves Cuban food, so many flavours and spices are used, it's like food explosion in your mouth.  We ordered some sweet plantains, the Cuban breakfast, and the baked eggs.

The sweet plantains were very good, like a deep fried, firmer banana.  Interesting that there was some parsley or cilantro in the dish too.  I didn't try it with the herb, but maybe it's better that way?
Sweet Plantains











The Cuban breakfast is the slow roasted pork and eggs served on top of beans and rice, coleslaw and a tostone.  A tostone is a less ripe plantain that has been cut, fried and smashed, and fried again.  It's much starchier, more potato like.  Delicious with the pork.  The pork was melt in your mouth since it's been cooked for so long.  My eggs were just slightly overcooked for my liking, the yolk wasn't as runny.  Beans and rice, I have no idea what spices they add into it, but it's so good!!!  Need to try to make this at home.
Cuban Breakfast











My friend ordered the baked eggs.  The baked eggs were also served with beans and rice, coleslaw and a tostone.  The baked eggs itself, had ingredients that I like, but the eggs were fully cooked.  The yolk was like a hard boiled egg.  That part I didn't like.
Baked Eggs











Next time I'm in the area, will definitely stop by again whether it be for brunch, lunch or dinner.  The flavours were amazing!

392 Roncesvalles Ave.,
Toronto, ON,
M6R 2M9

416-538-7500
http://www.lacubana.ca

Starving Artist
I went during the summer.  At the time, I think the St. Clair W. location was still relatively new.  I couldn't find their address when I googled them.  Which almost made me meet my friend at the wrong location.  Because I liked my meal there, I thought I might want to go again a few weeks ago, and I still couldn't find their address on their website.  Am I not using the right words to google?!  Even on their official website, it only shows the Landsdowne location.....

The Starving Artist serves brunch, slightly differently, with waffles instead of bread.  There's 'normal' waffles, potato waffles, and gluten free waffles.  Something for everyone.  I ordered the waffle benny, which is poached egg, on caramelized bacon on top of mini waffles covered with hollandaise sauce.  I like how the sides served are fresh fruit and salad.  Imagine if home fries were served?  It would be carb overload.  The waffles were good, but pretty standard.  I guess you can't have it too flavoured since they probably use the same batter for both the savoury and sweet waffles.  I definitely prefer the waffle base over the typical bread base.
Waffles Benny











My friend ordered granola and yogurt for her daughter who is a yogurt fiend.  I've never seen any kid love yogurt that much.  She ordered a bacon grilled cheese waffle for herself.  If I remember correctly she ordered the potato waffle.  It was a bit denser than the waffle I had.  But I guess you would need something denser to hold against the cheese and bacon.
Grilled Cheese & Bacon, Granola & Yogurt











The Starving Artist location on St. Clair W., is very child friendly place, with lots of room for strollers to be parked next to the tables.  I saw many strollers on this particular day.

1078 St. Clair W.,
Toronto, ON
M6E 1A5

416-901-7479
http://www.starvingartistbar.com/SA_SITE/Welcome.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...