Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Frederick Restaurant


I love me some Hakka food.  The only place that has me wanting more is Lin Garden in Scarborough.  But it's been quite a few years since I have gone back, just because I've moved far enough away where it's no longer convenient.  As I was walking my dog during the summer, another dog wanted to come and play with my dog.  The owner came up and we started talking.  I'm not sure how we got to the topic of Hakka food, but he claims that Frederick has the best Hakka food.  Again, I should have been wary about that.  I've heard too many "best of's", and it never goes well.  But we decided to give it a try anyways.

Frederick was very busy that night, all the tables were filled, and the lineup for takeout was to the door.  Food must be good right?  For the three of us, we ended up over ordering.  We ordered the beef pakoras, vegetable manchurian fried noodles, chilli chicken and mushroom with broccoli.  The beef pakoras flavour-wise was pretty good.  There was an appropriate level of spiciness. I was expecting chopped/ground beef in a flour mixture deep fried.  But it was a slice of beef in a flour mixture deep fried.  The flour mixture texture was unexpected as well.  It was kind of gummy, maybe it's heavy cornstarch based?
Beef Pakoras

Vegetable manchurian fried noodles didn't have any wok hay.  It just tasted like oily spicy noodles with red food colouring.  They honestly weren't that spicy either.  Very disappointing.
Vegetable Manchurian Fried Noodle











Chili chicken is a must order when you have hakka food.  I had high hopes for this dish.  How can you call yourself a Hakka restaurant when your chilli chicken sucks.  And to my disappointment, the chilli chicken sucked.  The flavour of the chicken was like soy sauce chicken.  There was no heat.
Chilli Chicken











Mushrooms over broccoli, just another veggie dish that has been overly salted or soy sauced, and overly thickened with cornstarch.  The sauce was of a glue like consistency.
Mushrooms with Broccoli











Not worth the drive, or my time to go.  Will most likely never go again.  Just go to Lin Garden.

Frederick Restaurant
160 New Delhi Dr.,
Markham, ON

Phone:  905-472-1682

http://www.federickrestaurant.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...