Thursday, October 15, 2015

La Mere

My parents are pretty cool about food.  They’re more than willing to try out different foods at different restaurants, more so than other people of their generation.  Their philosophy is, if you don’t try, how would you  know if it’s good or not.  Worst possible case is that you try and it sucks, and you know not to go back to that place again.  So because we were feeling adventurous, we decided to try a Northern Chinese restaurant named La Mere.

La Mere’s menu doesn’t have a huge variety, but enough for you to choose from.  An appetizer that we ordered was the shredded potato.  My parents and I were originally disagreeing on whether we should order it, based on how they thought it was prepared.  They say they had a potato dish in China before, but it was cooked and super greasy.  We ordered it, and when it arrived they were surprised.  It wasn’t prepared how they thought it would be.  They really liked it.  Shredded potato (I’m still thinking it’s uncooked potato?), with lots of sesame oil, garlic, and chilis. The next dish we ordered was pork bone noodle soup.  Based on the reviews I saw, everyone orders the pork bone here as a dish itself.  The hubby likes soup noodles, so we ordered soup noodles that came with the pork bones on top.  I didn’t eat any of the pork bone meat, since I’m not a huge fan of pork to begin with.  I let my dad and the hubby pick at it.  One thing I noticed while they were eating was that it wasn’t as tender as I was expecting it to be.  I was expecting the meat to just fall off the bone.  It wasn’t like that at all.  The noodles were cooked well, al dente.  The broth flavour was quite heavy on the soy sauce, so I wasn’t such a huge fan of that. 
Pork Bone Soup Noodle, Shredded Potato (what was leftover)











We also ordered a pancake fried noodle.  It’s pretty much like Shanghainese fried noodle, but instead of the noodle, they have slivers of fried pancake.  This dish was a bit greasier than I would have liked, and way too garlicky.  My parents really enjoyed the flavours, but I’m not sure I would order it again because of the crazy amounts of garlic used.  Too much garlic upsets my stomach.
Pancake Fried Noodle











Another neat dish is the pan fried meat wrap.  It’s like their pancake, that as a meat filling on the inside, then pan fried.  Very good, a tad too salty for my taste buds, but very juicy as well.  So if you order this dish, make  sure you eat it as soon as it arrives at the table, or else the wrapper gets soggy.
The green onion pancake was nothing to write home about, pretty standard stuff.
Green Onion Pancake (top), Pan Fried Meat Wrap (bottom)













The dishes at La Mere was ok.  Good for a change up in meals every once in a while, when I feel like I need some extra grease in my stomach.

La Mere
3278 Midland Avenue,
ScarboroughON 
M1V 4W7

Phone:  (416) 297-0297 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...