Thursday, October 15, 2015

Maman

I was on Chowhound just doing some random reading, seeing if theres any new places (restaurants, bakeries, coffee houses, etc.) to check out.  I saw a really old post re-appear regarding kouign amann, meaning, that there’s a possibility of kougin amann in Toronto?  Super excited!  This would mean I don’t have to wait until the hubby travels to Vancouver or Montreal to get this sweet treat?!  I told my food boyfriend about this, and the very next day he went to scope out Maman for me.  He came back with half disappointing news.  They make kouign amann, but there’s no set day of the week where they will make it.  Feels like my hopes have been crushed.  To make my day less horrible, he did bring a white chocolate blueberry lavender cake, and a chocolate chip cookie.  When he told me it was white chocolate blueberry lavender cake, I was like eww.  I don’t like white chocolate, and there’s no chocolate in white chocolate!  Why is white chocolate even called chocolate?  Strike one.  Lavender in food?  To me, lavender belongs in soap, and lotions.  Strike 2.  I like blueberries?  So at least there’s one good thing.  The base of the cake seems to be a pound cake.  Love pound cake. My pants, not so much.  To my surprise, this cake was pretty good, light on the lavender, so you can taste it faintly.  No soapy taste that I was worried about.  There were a few blueberries floating around the top of the cake.  If the name didn’t have the words white chocolate, I would have never tasted it.  Overall, pretty good cake, nice and moist.
Blueberry Lavender White Chocolate Cake










The cookie had large chunks of chocolate.  A good balance of chocolate to ‘dough’.  The downside, it wasn’t as chewy as I was expecting.  I prefer chewy over crunchy.  So personal preference again.  But still VERY good, with lots of buttery flavour.  
Chocolate Chip (Chunk) Cookie











Maman is a French bistro/cafe/bakery from what I see on their website.  It looks like they also serve sandwiches and stuff.  The pictures alone on their website remind me of Paris, making me miss Paris even more.  I need to make a trip to Maman myself.  Hoping that when I do go, there will be kouign amann to try.  Right now, the best kouign amann I’ve had is still from Montreal.

Maman
100 King St. W.,
Toronto, ON
M5X 1B1

Phone:  (416) 216-6767

Hours: Monday - Tuesday 7:00am - 8:00pm
            Wednesday - Friday 7:00am - 10:00pm
            Saturday 10:00am - 3:00pm

http://mamantoronto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...