Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Taste of Lawrence 2015

There’s so many food festivals in Toronto.  So many and yet so crowded.  Are there that many foodies and foodiewannabies out there?  It’s not a great place to hang out with friends.  And the food isn’t particularly cheap either.  So why?  We decided to check out Taste of Lawrence because it’s uptown, and I assumed there would be more Caribbean and or Indian food options.

The food fest wasn’t crowded like the downtown ones.  The first thing I saw was a mini carnival going on, with rides and games.  Then as I walked, I noticed booths from sponsors, then there were booths selling trinkets.  Further down there was the main stage for acts and mini concerts.  Then finally….the food.  What I’ve been waiting for.  I really need to get rid of expectations, the food selection there was quite small.  I guess that explains the non-crowdedness of this event as well.  There were several booths selling Carribean food, ie jerk chicken, some Asian meat on a stick booths, Asian seafood both, shwarma booth, some taco trucks, potato on a stick truck, Filipino supermarket foods, but that was about it.  Overall it was disappointing.  We picked up a small jerk chicken on rice from Spice is Rite, tacos from La Loteria Taqueria (because the tacos from La Taquizza wasn’t satisfying enough), and a Filipino empanada.

Spice is Rite
They have a storefront.  The person in line in front of us was saying how much he loves the jerk chicken from Spice is Rite and he gets take out all the time.  The jerk chicken was pretty good, spicier than other places.  Best part is that it wasn’t dry.  A lot of the times when I want jerk, I order jerk pork over the chicken because with pork and the amount of fat, it’s less likely to be dry. 
Small Jerk Chicken











Spice is Rite
2179 Lawrence Ave. E.,
Scarborough, ON
M1P 2P5

Phone:  (647) 430-7732

https://www.facebook.com/SPICE-is-RITE-207876646018627/

La Loteria Taqueria
Mmmmm tacos.  I have been craving tacos, good tacos.  For some strange reason, it seems to be a never ending craving.  I’m still craving them as I write this blog post.  We ordered a chicken, pulled pork and shredded beef taco.  I was so excited when I got the plate, it looked delicious!  And tastes even better.  So much flavour, and the use of corn tortillas.  I’m so hungry now.  They apparently have a storefront in Kensington Market too.
La Loteria Tacos











La Loteria Taqueria
249 Augusta Ave.,
Toronto, ON
M5T 2L8

Phone:  (647) 210-3242

https://www.facebook.com/La-Loteria-Taqueria-813412878714412/

FV Foods

There were a lot of people eating in this parking lot.  I’m not sure if it was for the food, or for shade.  It was super hot that day.  They had a bunch of baked goods, deep fried goods, steamed buns, grilled meats for purchase.  Since we already ate jerk and tacos, we just grabbed an empanada.  I had no idea Filipinos had empanadas.  They’re very different than the other empanadas that I’ve had before.  The outside is similar to a tart or cookie crust (exactly like those Chinese chicken pies), it’s a little sweet.  The beef filling reminded me of a Jamaican patty.  Interesting, good, haven’t quite figured out if I like it enough to buy it again.
Filipino Empanada











FV Foods
2085 Lawrence Ave. E.,
Scarborough, ON 
M1R 2Z4

Phone:  (416) 751-7555 

http://fvfoods.ca

If you have too much time to kill, by all means check out the Taste of Lawrence.  I wouldn't make an out of the way trek to visit this food fest.  If you do decide to go, give yourself an hour.  Thats more than enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...